Homemade Goat Cheese Goodness February 28, 2017
- One gallon of goat milk
- Juice of one large lemon
- Salt and favorite fresh herbs
- Candy thermometer
- Large bowl
How to make your goodness:
- Pour the entire carton of milk into your pot and put on medium heat. If you have a handy dandy tool that attaches the thermometer to the pot, use it.
- While it’s warming, fold your cheesecloth over several times and line the colander. Place the colander in the large bowl.
- Keep a close watch on your milk to make sure it doesn’t boil. If it does there’s a chance it won’t work well. Let it heat up to 180 degrees.
- Once you have reached 180 degrees, remove it from the heat.
- Add your lemon juice and stir.
- Now let it sit for a couple minutes. You will see a little bit of curdling.
- Carefully ladle it into your cheesecloth. Now let it drip, drip, drip into perfection. This could take about an hour and a half. I like to tie the cheesecloth corners around a spoon and balance the spoon on either side of the colander. Once the dripping has finished, you will find cheese in your cloth.
- Fold in your favorite herbs. I like a little salt, garlic, and green onion. My other fave is going sweet with chopped dried apricots. Put it in a jar and drizzle with honey.
Please tell me how yours turns out. I love making this so much!